Situated in a village near Pershore, where Alison King and Paul Varnon first met in the local pub, this cosy cottage was just what the couple were looking for as their first home.
The three-bedroom cottage near Pershore in Worcestershire, was built in the early 1800s as two farmworkers’ cottages and later made into one.
With a keen eye for design, and plenty of experience from renovating her previous homes, Alison had a clear idea of how to bring back the original character of the cottage. ‘It was carpeted throughout and had wallpapered walls and ceilings,’ she recalls. ‘There was a gas fire in the inglenook and a 1950s brick fireplace in the garden room.’
- Ground-floor walls, ceilings and floors were stripped back.
- The ceiling joists in the cellar were repaired, floorboards re-laid and the back wall of the house damp-proofed, with precautionary woodworm treatment throughout.
- Windows replaced with oak framed designs to meet Conservation Area approval.
- The ground-floor doors were removed and the bathroom relocated.
- A garden outbuilding has been renovated to create an office and tranquil retreat
Alison and Paul moved the bathroom to where the middle bedroom was, for more height. A bathroom suite from Plumb Center is complemented by painted floorboards in a mix of Graphite and Old Violet paints by Annie Sloan, and Palm Jungle wallpaper from Cole & Son
The couple have recently completed the renovation of a derelict outbuilding at the bottom of the garden, transforming it into a garden office and tranquil retreat. ‘It would have once served as washrooms to the workers’ cottages,’ explains Alison. The tranquil hideaway features silver travertine tiles from Mandarin Stone and a neat console desk from Oka. The rustic wooden ladder found on Ebay leads up to two single beds
Get the look
Emulate Alison’s timeless look with stylish buys fit for a period property
- Wallpaper: Tropicana wallpaper, £59 per roll, Fabrics & Papers.
- Candle: Two-wick Symons candle, £35, The White Company’s.
- Tree: Artificial Canadian spruce tree, H195cm, £149.99, Gifts & Plants.
- Cracker: Kraft and Red glitter snowflake luxury crackers in packs of six, comprising two designs, £16, BHS.
- Mirror: Belle mirror, H86xW117cm, £235, Ayers & Graces.
- Cake dome: Handmade soda lime glass serving stand, H27.5xDia.29cm, £55, Oliver Bonas.
- Wreath: Heart-shaped red berry wreath, H34xW30cm, £24, The Contemporary Home.
- Bed: Edwardian-style Castello bed, £449 for a king-size, Marks & Spencer.
- Ribbon: Merry Christmas cotton ribbon, £1.94 for 5m, Luck & Luck.
Author & Photographer: Amanda Turner