Outdoor lighting is an important addition to any house. Not only does make life easier when you’re trying to put the bins out in the dark, or get your keys into the lock, it also acts as a deterrent to people who might be looking to break in. Outdoor lighting can be operated by a switch if you want to control it, or it can run on a sensor for convenience.
There are many styles of external light, whether you’re looking for a traditional light to match the fabric of your home, a contemporary addition to add a bit of contrast, or a concealed security light that wont impact upon the look of your home.
Tips on choosing outdoor lighting
- Make sure the light you choose is suitable for outdoor use – even if you’re putting it in a sheltered spot. The minimum IP rating you should look for in a garden light is IPX3 (normally IP43), which protects against rain or spraying water at a 60° angle from vertical. Choose an IPX4 (normally IP44) rating for exposed areas. Decking or patio lights are often jet-cleaned, which requires an IPX5 rating or above.
- For security lights choose between dusk-to-dawn lights that come on automatically when it gets dark and switch off again when the sky lightens at dawn, and/or PIR lights that are triggered by body heat so only turn on if someone approaches your home. These exterior lights could be your best option as they should surprise and scare off intruders and also use less electricity.
- Use a professional, registered electrician to get the job done safely.
- Before installing your outdoor lights, switch off your power supply at the fuse box (consumer unit) before doing any electrical work.
- For an easy install choose solar powered lights that don’t require wiring in.
- Use ‘task’ or functional lighting for entrances, paths, patios, garages and sheds. To create mood and highlight decorative parts of the garden such as plants, trees, ponds or sculpture, go for accent lighting
- Use outdoor lighting to create an atmospheric extra ‘living room’ to enjoy after the sun goes down.
Light the way to a party with these solar Vintage Festoon lights from the Solar Centre. Each set has 10 warm white LED bulbs. H10xD6cm with 910cm of cable, £29.99