Arches, arbours or pergolas can add extra interest to a garden and make it appear larger. You can train climbing plants up them where space for planting is at a premium, they can offer shade on warm sunny afternoons, frame a view or a path, and help to divide different areas.
Find the perfect structure for your outdoor space and take a look at our expert hints and tips on how to style your pergola or arbour, how to blend it into your landscape and how it can be used to enhance the area.
Design tips for garden arches and arbours:
- Accentuate your structure with pretty climbers and potted plants.
- Cover a pergola in climbers to create a romantic landscape and to offer shaded protection for people and plants during the more sultry summer days.
- Place several arches along a pathway to create a covered walkway.
- Use arches to frame a path, make an entrance or to create a striking focal point.
- Choose materials in keeping with your style. Allow metal arches to rust and blend with the garden, or paint in a sympathetic colour scheme with suitable outdoor paints or varnish.
- Think about the strength of your structure before you laden it with heavy plants. Grow lightweight annuals, such as runner beans or sweet peas, up thin gauge supports.
- Make sure your structure is securely fixed to the ground before planting. Refer to the advice from the supplier or manufacturer.